Friday, July 3, 2009

Harlan Price - One Stand Up Dude

Wednesday night was a hightlight for me. Not because of the awesomeness that was Rockbridge, with it's uber fast river sections, and leg burning climbs, but because of a guy I met after the ride. I guess it was a classice case of being at the right spot at the right time. I just happend to be stretching, at that moment and place when a certain Volvo came pulling up next to me. A shortish (to my lanky ass), skinnier fellow hopped out with his pup in tow and asked how the ride was. He looked familiar...

After a few minutes of the classic biker bullshiting, I realized who I was talking to, Harlan Price. National level pro racer who dominates long endurance events and crushes the souls of the weak of hearted. Here's a little article about a win he just put down across seas' in a 9 day stage race. Pretty serious...

What's the odds? Harlan was passing through, and just got done riding Rockbridge. He was on his way to Colorado to spend three weeks racing the Breck Stage Race and the Breckenridge 100, and I think the Marathon Nationals too. Most would place a pro at an elitist mentality, but Harlan was far from that. He was a stand up dude, who was as nice as one of your best friends. He was stopping by to take a quick nap, but was happy to shoot the bull with me for over an hour as we visited on how the pro life was, why we first started riding, recovery and training ideas and tips, and more. It was an awesome hour...

Harlan first got into riding out of College, a little bit of a late bloomer you could say. It didn't take him long, and after a strong Expert win at Snowshoe he upped to Semi-Pro. He said it all happend fairly fast and he only won one semi-pro race before cating up to Pro. He's been racing for Independent Fabrications from the time he started racing Pro.

He pretty much summed up the Pro life with one word, sacrifices. He said you have to give up alot of your social life, and be prepared to live on a tight budget starting out, traveling alot solo like he was doing. I didn't bother to ask him if he was married, figuring that could be a sore spot. I was curious as to all of this, because I've always had this little devil inside me that says taht one day, if I push hard enough, and make the right moves, that I could be o so pro... I'm young enough, but it has alot more to do with it than that. Luckily I'm surrounded by family and friends that have full faith in me, and consistantly tell me I can do it no problem, which keeps me running full speed ahead. I've got the drive of a formula 1 race car, and damnit, I'll get there one day...

Harlan said he took a hiatus from racing for one year, but only 4 days into a bike tour in Central America, he decided he wanted back in. That's how it works, just when you think your out, it sucks you right back in. I guess when your that good, you almost have to make the most of your talent, knowing that so many people wish to be in your boots.

He gave me a pretty good pointer on recovery, one which he seem very adament about. Naps. A giant smile covered his face when he said the best thing to do is to take a 15-20 minute nap as often as possible. He said it was the greatest thing ever. I like his thinking... Now that I think about it, Einstein never slept, he just took alot of naps. Maybe there's something to that...

He showed me the lightest front 29er wheel I've ever laid hands on, a Stans Race 29er wheel, laced up Industry Nine style. This thing was road wheel light. We talked about my problems with flats this year, and he gave me some good advice on tire selection, and how to be more smooth when I'm riding. Apparently I'm supposed to be as "quiet" as possible when I'm riding. Sound enough advice. I told him that with every race I learn something, and I take it as a humbling experience. I find out what I need to work on, and I work on it religiously. He said that was priceless... Being able to recognize what your weak at is your greatest motivator, and actually doing something about it is even better.

I got to test out his foam roller, which I've been aware of but apprehensive. It was the shit, I'm on it like Sonic. Got one ordered already. Graeme Street with Cyclo-core was touting about them, and said they're great for myofacial release. It's supposed to be the shit for working out IT bands.

Towards the end he mentioned watching a couple of kids pull up, and within minutes throw on helmets, and pedal off. They were there for one reason, to ride. He said he almost forgot what that was like. When we ride, it's a systamatic approach to get going. Get dressed, put on cycling shoes, check the air in the tires, lube the chain, get nutrional items, water, ect... We almost forget what we're there for, to ride. He said it's easy to get burned out and forget your true propose. He's already done 19 races this year... That's crazy.

It's funny, because Jamie called me earlier in the day while I was working with Pops. She was bored and was reading horoscopes. She read mine, "your ability to communicate will open up new doors." Then she read dads, "open your eyes, a opportunity will present itself to you today that will prove to be very valuable in the future." Up until that night, I've never got to talk with a true idol in the sport. Someone who is in a postition that I want to be in someday. Sure we have some great racers around the state, but Harlan is living the dream. Dreams are different to everyone, and this one may not be for you, but I'm thinking I could see myself in his shoes one day.

So as I wrap it up, let me make one point. Harlan gave me a kick ass Indy Fab catalouge, and I told him the only reason any of us want to go pro is so that one day some little kid will come up and ask for our autograph. He laughed, and said it's still foreign to him. I made him sign his page in the catalouge, and he signed it, "Make Old New Again! Harlan Price." It's mid-season, you've been working your ass off on the bike. Winter was long base miles, and then it was ramped up with intensity, or whatever else you like to do on the bike. Races are underway, and it's warming up. It's easy to forget why we got into this sport, why we do what we do everyday. Hell I foget about it often. I'm far from being burned out after my chance encounter with Harlan, it fueled the fire that burns down deep and keeps me rolling day in and day out. If your like most though, and are starting to wear down, and finding it hard to get back out day in and day out, just remember, make old new again. Go out and have fun, you can't take this shit too seriously. It's all about the ride, friends, and great times! Have a fantastic 4th and be safe my friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment