Monday, November 16, 2009

I'm Not A Runner

What a sweet ass race... I've been waiting for that shit since all you crazy nutty cylocross racers have been trying to talk me into doing it. All the talk about just how fucking great this cyclocross racing is. Ya, your right. I said it, I love the shit. This weekend race was made for me, kinda...

You see one thing I lack horribly in when it comes to cyclocross is running. Especially when it comes to running up steep long hills. I ride a bike, I don't run. Although after this weekend, I learned that it's something I'll be loading into my arsenal next season, hell maybe even a little this season coming into OUR state championship.

They started us with the Open class at the Destad KS State Championship Race. I coulda gave a shit less about this race, I'm not from KS, I can't win State, and I missed last weeks race taking me out of the overall running. I wanted to have fun, I wanted to race in MUD! I got both...

I had a pretty awesome start, I had an even better first couple of laps. I was stoked when I ran up the hill hearing Cameron shout out "Dude your like top 5!" Who would of guessed a couple of single speeders could toss it up with the open guys. Only in a race like yesterdays...

Songer rode strong, but I felt stronger. I could have done alot of things differently, but I did what I did, and came up short of the win. I was riding behind Songer comfortably, more comfortable than ever before. I even led a bit, but wanted to keep it low key till the last few laps to go. That worked until he put a gap on me. I closed it alright, that's right, I'm not that big of a bitch. But then I layed it out sideways on one of the corners. Totally washed the front end of the bike out like I had just hit a patch of ice. Wallowed in the mud like a fucking pig, but quickly got back on it. At this time he had 30 seconds on me and we had two laps to go.

I worked and worked, but with each of the three running sections I lost power. My legs felt like cement. I was toast... Last lap was a blur, my only regret was that I didn't lay it down harder. I could tell Songer was pushing it and my legs just didn't have it. Turns out he had a bad last lap and won by only 10 seconds. Oh well, I was happy, I had a fucking blast, and I got to toss it up with the Open guys like a pro, with one gear...

If you missed it, I'm truely sorry, you missed the best race of the year. I did everything wrong coming into the race just to see how much it would matter... Didn't seem to matter much. But for our State I'll probably refrain from eating all you can eat crablegs the night before, downing a bottle of wine, and otherwise partaking in illegal activity that would likely be frowned upon by our great governing clusterfuck that is know as USCF.

Good times, man good times...

Quote of the race that made my day, "You have spikes on those tires?" Brian Jensen as I slice a downhill right corner passing him. Yup, spikes and fucking tire chains...

1 comment:

  1. SS is an equipment choice, not a class (Myerson's words, but I agree).

    So in review, it's men, women, beginner. Damn right.

    ReplyDelete